Friday, June 01, 2012

Travel Information!

My mind can't seem to grasp the fact that I'm leaving in just three quick months. I remember this exact time last year; I was filling out my preliminary application and excited to work on my full application throughout the summer. I just can't seem to grasp that I've been counting down from exactly one year ago to today where my new life is just three months away. I only have two days left of school next week, both days focused on final exams. Then that's it..I have the rest of the summer to focus on my job and absolutely wonderful friends and family- because before I know it- they won't be so familiar anymore. This summer is going to be filled with just as many emotions as memories created. 

"late nights, bikinis, short shorts, flip flops, sunglasses, sunshine, loud music, pool parties, no makeup. the list goes on. SUMMER 2012 ♥"

On another note, I received my travel information today!
Late last night, I spent a good two or so hours skyping with a friend going to France in the fall, when I got an email from a local volunteer saying that I could count on specific flight details. I didn't really take the time to put everything together and I didn't really think much of the email at that point. Then later, to my luck, I just so happen to randomly wake up at 2am to a breezy cold room and an email blinking on my phone beside me. Thinking that there was a slight possibility it could be a host family placement, I opened the email as quick as I could..still half asleep. While it wasn't my placement, I did find out some other great news! I got my flight itinerary, which I wasn't even expecting until July! Here's a little insight on the excitement I was experiencing early this morning:



I found out that I have to be at the Hilton New York JFK Hotel anytime between 12pm-4pm on September 5th, 2012. That means I have to say good-bye to my family and friends that day, and to make things worse, that day happens to be my mother's birthday. Then, I have my gateway orientation that night and leave September 6th from JFK airport at 8:55pm and arrive in Zurich, Switzerland at 10:45am on September 7th. I have around a two hour layover in Zurich and at 12:25pm I fly to Madrid and arrive at 2:45pm!

I also was informed of our luggage requirements- we're allowed one checked bag up to 44 pounds with specific measurements too, along with one carry on weighing 22 pounds. It's crazy to think that I have to pack ten months into just 44 pounds..it seems close to impossible!

I've been trying to convince my parents to host an exchange student while I'm gone, whether it be as a temporary welcome family (for 6-12 weeks) or for an entire year. My mom seems to be fully on board with the idea, but it is a two way street. I feel that if my family provided another student with the same opportunity I was given, it would be the least we could do to "pay" back my scholarship. Also, it would be a great experience for my fourteen year old little brother. If my family hosted while I was gone, my brother especially, would overall be positively affected and would have someone to share his first year of high school with! I am strongly passionate about the whole idea, and crossing my fingers and hoping that my parents will agree!  (mom, if you're reading this- pretty please!?) 

Also, there hasn't been any news recently about my host family or placement. It seems that a lot of people have been getting placed recently though, and I really have a feeling I'm going to be soon! It's so hard waiting for the perfect family when everyone else seems to have their match already. As impatient as I am, I know for a fact that I'm going to get a great family and it will all be worth the wait in the end. I have to try my best to stay positive!

That's everything for now, but hopefully more major updates to follow!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, My name is Tanya and I´m an AFS participant too. I'm from Spain, so if you have any doubt about Spain,spanish people,manners,etc,just ask me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traveling overseas will create memories that will last a lifetime. When looking for information and photos on the areas you are interested in, I have found the www.paradiseintheworld.com to be among the best.

    ReplyDelete