Friday, March 23, 2012

Scholarship!

Yesterday when I was driving (yes, I got my license, by the way!), I got a phone call from a strange number. Usually I don't answer calls unless I know the number, but for some reason I decided to answer. I'm so glad I did! It was a local AFS volunteer calling to inform me that I was one of the fall 2012 Speedwell FULL scholarship winners! I was told I would get a follow up email today, as I did. Here's what it said-


"Dear Paige Rothfus and family,

Congratulations!  You have received the following AFS scholarship award for your upcoming AFS program to Spain:
Sponsor/Scholarship Name    
Speedwell Study Abroad Scholarship (Speedwell Study Abroad Scholarship)
Amount
 $13,650"

The email had more to it but basically said that I have to sign an acceptance form, and write a thank you letter. I am also required to consider becoming an AFS volunteer and write a post essay about my experience in Spain and how it impacted my life.

My pre-departure orientation is coming up soon! It is on Saturday, May 19th from 10am-5pm and all Speedwell recipients and one parent are required to attend.

I just wanted to say how truly thankful I am to have an opportunity like this. To be honest, if it wasn't for the Speedwell scholarship, studying abroad for a year would be close to impossible. Words can't even describe how grateful I am. 

1 comment: